Saturday, October 18, 2014

Grand Illusions Introduction- A Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt

This is the new mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter Grand Illusions. Last week Bonnie released the colours for this year mystery so we can prepare our fabric selections for the first clue next month. Here is the link to Bonnie's post if you are interested in joining us. 
The colours for this year are yellow, green, turquoise, pink, black and neutrals. Now I find it hard to do scrappy but this year I have been working on my fear of scrappy with the Leaders & Enders Challenge and after a few wobble of I can't do scrappy it's not me.  I am ready to take on this year's mystery quilt as a scrappy quilt. So we will see how I go. 

Here is my selection for the quilt I may adjust it once we start, there is a couple of fabrics I am not sure about but we will see what happens. I was very pleased with myself that I was able to find most of what I needed in my stash I was worried about the turquoise and the yellow but the turquoise was ok, (one may be blue and a couple may be closer to aqua but we will see if I use them). Yellow was the only problem in the end, no yellow as it is the only fabric for the quilt that you needed yardage and I didn't have it. Not a huge yellow fan, that is why. So it is the only piece I had to purchase. Very happy the stash has a dent in it and room to add some new fabrics to it in the future and I did get to buy one new fabric and of course I brought a little extra for the stash. I look forward to starting this project next month but in the meantime let's finish a couple projects off, time for some sewing.
Until next time
Keep Stitching
PS I have put the Grand Illusions button on my side button so you can pop over to Quiltville to see what is happening at any time.

Monday, October 13, 2014

I am Inklingo-ing.

Is that a real word Inklingo-ing? Or I have just made it up. I just couldn't think of another word to describe that I am working on my Inklingo projects.
Have you tried Inklingo yet?
If not? Inklingo is downloadable shapes to print on to fabric using a standard inkjet printer. Here is the link to the Inklingo blog for more details, if you are curious. I know I was 2 years ago when I came upon a post about this technique. Since then I haven't looked back, I always have an Inklingo project on the go. 
Here is a couple of my completed projects and the Case of the Secret Garden was my first project. Really! It was a mystery quilt Linda had on the blog and I found it the perfect project to start with as she had all the details worked out for you. 

The other one was my Camelia Hexagon Quilt.

There is a free starter collection for you to download and try before you buy as well. The Inklingo method is suited to hand piecing and machine piecing so whatever one you prefer, try it. Now I love to hand piece so it saves me from have to make templates and drawing around them and cut them out. Too long, with Inklingo I cut the fabric to the size I need, iron the same size piece of freezer paper to the right side of the fabric and put it in the printer and hit the print button. Then all I have to do is cut them out and I am ready to sew. 
You can just see the printed lines.
 I have 2 projects on the go at the moment and they are my Kaleidoscope stars which will be a table runner once I choose the background. 

This is the first time I have tried the fussy cutting with no waste technique which will become a table runner and my other project is my Castle Wall quilt, I am halfway through block 4 of 12.

The Inklingo blog is a great resource of information and it is well worth bookmarking it for easy reference. Here is the Inklingo link to get started. 
A disclaimer from me. I am affiliated with Inklingo so please click on Cynthia's Ark when you are asked where did you hear about us question as you go through the checkout when you purchase anything from the Inklingo website. I think I will be trying the newest star release next after I finish my kaleidoscope star table runner. I might not be able to wait.
Until next time 
Keep Stitching

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Island Batik Mystery Quilt Along

I have been following Bea's blog for most of this year. So when she announced she was doing a Mystery quilt along for Island Batiks I just had to join in I also love Island Batik fabrics. They make up 95 % of batik fabrics in my store. That says a lot in itself. 
If you follow my blog you know I have been flat out over the last month and my plan to do 2-3 post on this project over the month didn't happen. I have been doing little bits here and there when I have had 5-10 minutes. I haven't quite got the top completed but it won't take me long to finish the blocks.
  As the project is called Stain Glass quilt and Bea stated at the beginning avoid too many directional fabrics, I picked tonal batiks for my project. I may change the dark binding fabric(top fabric) now I have seen the quilt layout.

My sub blocks made up.

My sub blocks laid out ready for sewing.

This is the block completed.

The first 4 block completed and lay out in the centre blocks.

Hopefully I can squeeze in a couple hours of sewing in on Sunday to complete the rest of the blocks. Only 12 more to go.
Here is the link to Island Batiks Blog if you are interested in this project
 Until next time
Keep Stitching