Friday, July 24, 2015

Playing with Fabric #1



I love the 2 1/2' stripe that arrive from Always the Season range a few weeks ago and it seem you like it too, with it being the biggest seller out of 5 that arrived. This stripe is calling to be fussy cut. So I took a break and had a play, to see what blocks I could make just by the way I cut the stripe. I started by cutting some 2 1/2' strips diagonally to create some half square triangle blocks. A few skinny rectangle offcuts were left over, not sure if I can use them or not. We will see what happens, if they are still hanging around at the end of the project they may go in the bin.

 From the other end of the piece of fabric I cut some plain 2 1/2' squares and some 21/2' square to create 2 rectangles.
All these block  are sewn together as four patch blocks or nine patch blocks, except for the flying geese block which is a six patch block. These blocks are all 2 1/2' squares, no extra seams in the piecing of any of the blocks. This reduce the bulk when seam meet, it can build up when you are using multiply fabrics. Here are the blocks so far, I am sure there is more.







As you can see I haven't sewn any of these blocks yet but I will create a table runner from this experiment once I decide which blocks I want to use. I am thinking of using the friendship star block as this is a Christmas range and you need stars at Christmas.
This stripe from Always the Season fabric range is available in my shop  here  in the fabric category with 4 other fabrics from this range if you are tempted to create your own blocks.

Until Next Time
Keep Stitching 
Cynthia

No comments: