Monday, October 17, 2016

Crazy Cat Panel Quilt

This is one of those panels that need a little work to make it work. You could buy 2 panels and sew a border around them to make a simple quilt but I only wanted to use one. It is from the Kool Kats fabric range.
1. I cut it up as the picture below show, just centreing the ruler evenly as you can between the frames.


2. Removed the centre row.

3.Then sewed the next two strips together.
4.Next I took the border print which looks like this.
And cut the cat strips and licorice strips apart.
So I ended up with 4 of each strip.
5. Then I cut 2 licorice stripes off strip.
6. Measure your panel from top to bottom and cut 2 licorice strip to that length and use them to sash your 3 sections of panel together. I pressed to the panel sections.
7. Measure centre panel side to side and cut 2 full licorice strips and 2 cat strips to that measurement and sew them together along the long sides off the strips. Press.
8.  Sew a strip to the top and the other to bottom of your centre. Press.
9. Cut 2  single licorice strip to the same measurement and sew to the top and bottom. I pressed to the cat strip as it is a wider strip.
10. Measure your quilt from top to bottom and cut 2 cat border strips to that length. and sew them to the sides of your quilt.
11. Measure side to side this time and cut the last 2 border strips and sew them to the top and bottom of your quilt. Press to the borders.
12. Now you are ready for quilting. Pin your three layers together with safety pins or baste with basting spray, whatever you prefer. Quilt it as you like. I stitched in the ditch for this one as I didn't want to sew through any of the cats. So no cats were harmed in the making of this quilt but two black cats did get told off for their block re arranging and standing on the quilt when I was trying to quilt it. Cisco behaving himself as I finish the binding off in my lap.

13. Then all you have to do is bind it. I used this Swizzle Stix diagonal stripe for my binding.



Panel and fabrics are all available from Cynthia's Ark online.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia


2 comments:

AlidaP said...

That quilt is too cute!!! I really appreciate the tips on how to look at a panel and rearrange the elements until they work for our goal. Thanks for sharing

Vickie said...

Super cute quilt !