Saturday, October 29, 2016

Hourglass Block Fun

I have been work on a hourglass project. I saw Missouri Star Quilt Company Jenny Doan's Super easy hourglass block and had to try it. As it is done with 10" pre cut squares I thought this would be a great  quilt as a shop sample for what to do with layer cakes and Stacker packs.  As I am often asked what can you make with 10" squares and what size quilt do they make. So I went from having a go at a block to making a quilt. Imagine that! The way I do things around here, some of you will not be surprised. I do get carried away and jump from project to project.

So I was using a Riley Blake Designs Stacker pack Unforgettable as I have some yardage in stock for borders and teamed it up with Riley Blake Design  Grey Swiss Dots for the neutral.

This technique requires no triangles to be cut which is perfect for those who don't like triangles.
If you haven't seen it here is the link to Jenny's tutorial.

This is the final pile of finished blocks all 70 blocks as I used 20 stacker pack squares and 20 grey Swiss dots. I left one light square out only because I didn't want to cut another 10" strip for on 1 square.

Now the funny starts how to layout these blocks. Here are a few layout ideas I am playing with.




I will share the final layout with you all once I settle on my favourite. What is your favourite layout for hourglass block?

Also we are going to be stocking some of Missouri Star Quilt Company speciality rulers and products. The first order of rulers are on their way. You will be able to but them online and in store.
Until Next Time
Keep Stitching
Cynthia



No comments: